Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Weber State...great great great!

I would just like to start out by saying that I had a great time at the U of U-Weber State football game.  And thanks to our good friends who got us such great seats and good food at the tailgating party.  We really had a great time!

I thought that WSU would get rocked and I was prepared to go with my Weber shirt and sit amongst the U of U fans to cheer them on.   But alas, I am a competitive girl and I do bleed purple, so I found myself getting a little worked up about the game.  I thought that Weber did a great job against a ranked team and I was proud to be a wildcat.  Here are some pictures from the game....(Oh, I am not done yet...I have something to get off my chest...)


I wish I still had a purple shirt, I might have looked more supportive.

Weber State's missed field goal in the first quarter.

Jeff wore a Utah shirt because he also attended the U and likes them.  We figured we were well represented.


Me and my BFF.  (You can kind of see all the WSU fans way up in the corner).


Okay, now that that is done I have some issues to discuss...  I am no stranger to sports.  In fact I have over 20 years of playing or coaching from the Jr. High level to the collegiate level.  I have also been on teams that have been slaughtered in a game and coached teams that have been slaughtered.  I have also played BYU and Utah, both of which we have beat in the off season, (which I know doesn't count, but nonetheless, we beat them).  And I have beaten Utah as a coach in the regular season when they were #10 in the country.  So I do feel as though I have some legitimate thoughts here...
I have always STRONGLY disliked BYU.  Every time we played them we lost and that alone is reason to not really like someone, but on top of it, out of all the teams we ever played they were the most obnoxious.  They would whine about calls, talk trash across the net, and mock other players, and they were cheep (one memory comes to mind, but that's another story).  There is going to be some of that in any game, but they took it over the top.  Especially considering how they think they are this holy school or something.  That they are just better than everyone else because of what school they go to.  So I don't respect them or like them. 

So back to Saturday night.  As we said our goodbye's to our friends and left having had a good time we turned our radio on for the post game show on 1280 AM.  By the time we got to my parents house to pick up the kids, I was fuming!   They had on this idiot, Kyle something or other, who used to be the starting center for Utah.  I could not believe what he was saying!  It all started with a caller who was so upset with Ron McBride and called him a "classless jerk" for doing a little dance after a touch down in the 4th quarter.  This kyle guy said he didn't see it because they were on their way to get to their post game show.  But then he just went off on how he couldn't believe McBride would leave his starting guys in after the U took theirs out.  And how all McBride wanted to do was ruin things for the U in the national rankings.  He went on to say that any real player couldn't be proud of scoring against "scrubs" because they don't even get reps, "and who even knows their names?"  He was so condescending to Weber and those 'scrubs' from the U's team, I couldn't believe it!  Those "scrubs" are the ones who make the starters better and without them where would your team be?  And those scrubs are one injury away from being starters.  What a jerk.
Then they went on to complain how the U was being respectful when they pulled their starters in the fourth and how Weber should have done the same.  Trust me, I've been on the 2nd place side a lot on this...I've never been in a game where I have taken out or been taken out when we were getting smashed.  It doesn't make any sense.  Why should we stop trying to find a way to win.   This kyle guy and many of the callers were saying how its this 'unwritten rule' to do that and how Weber just wanted to make it look respectable.  Well duh.

Jeff was ticked too, because all he heard was how Utah should have never played Weber and how there was nothing for them to gain.  If they win, they are suppose to, and if they lose its an upset.  Whine, whine, whine.  Well isn't that what Utah keeps saying about playing BCS schools?  Utah is Weber to those BCS schools, so isn't it funny that they would turn around and do the same thing they are complaining about.  Hummm.

So in the end, I think that my views of Utah and their team have fallen dangerously close to my views on BYU.  I'll have to give that some more thought.

All I can say now is Weber State...great, great, great!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

AMEN April! I listened to that same post game show and I was FUMING by the time we made it back to Ogden. I couldn't believe the crap that guy was saying...I reall have doubts that he was much of a competitor. And so from now on, GO COUGARS!!! Anytime they play Utah, I'm going to be cheering for them. And also Oregon State tomorrow. I hope those stupid Utes get their butts kicked and then Kyle will have a real reason to whine after the game!

Shannon Smith said...

I'll cheer Weber with you!

The Metcalf's said...

Hearing this makes me feel glad that I turned down my opportunity to go to the U!! And I HATE BYU!!!!! Everyone in my family gets mad at me because I'm so vocal on my views - but - hello - IDIOTS!!! I've met exactly THREE BYU graduates who have actually left a positive impression on me. I think the ELITIST attitude of BYU is disgusting. BYU as an educational institution is fine - it's the students that are ruining BYU's reputation.


map