Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I'm on my way!



Here is my little food storage collection.  So far its not much, but I'm hoping it would keep us alive for about 4 months or so.  I have tried to buy the buckets from Costco that are like 275 servings of different foods because all you have to do is add water and cook them.  They also last for 20 or 30 years.  I'm all over that because I'm not very good at rotating.  

Yesterday I had lunch with a few neighbors and we started talking about food storage.  One of my neighbors is just about done with a full years supply for her family and she was very excited about it.  Her enthusiasm passed off on me and I went to Macey's Emergency Preparedness sale and bought a bunch of stuff for us.

Its weird how these thoughts get in your head about something you need to do and then someone else mentions it and its reinforced.  As we were talking, I realized how horrible I would feel if I didn't have the necessary things to take care of my family if we ended up in a disaster or some type of emergency.  I spend money on things that aren't that important, I could put more of an effort into this.

My sister in law told me a story about one of her patients in cardiac rehab whose daughter or niece or someone they were related to was in the temple about to get married.  As they were waiting in the celestial room they were told that Pres. Hinckley was there that day and would like to talk to all the couples.  As he talked to each couple about their plans, he asked them where they were going on their honeymoons.  After they told him, he told them that he would cancel their trips and use the money to start a food storage.  Wowser-that's pretty serious.  (T-if I got any of the details wrong, feel free to correct me.)

So I am really going to focus on being more self reliant and being prepared.  Go to www.providentliving.org for more information.  Good luck to all of you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I always need a reminder about food storage. I went to a meeting about earthquakes at our ward a few months ago and it got us going. It's always good to hear.


map